SDR Student Orientation Agenda Spring 2013
- Health and Wellness Services
- Student Disability Resources
- Accessible Technology Initiative
- Assistive Technology
- SDR Events and Activities
- Disability Etiquette
- Forms & Publications
- Directions to Health & Wellness Services (Bldg. 80)
- Off-Campus Resources
- Contact Us
Student Orientation Agenda
WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS
- Confidentiality: Please respect privacy of other students today and in SDR
- Yellow Questionnaire
- What is one thing you want to learn from this Orientation?
- Questions and Answers throughout so please raise your hand!
HANDOUTS - All are at http://csumb.edu/sdr, in Forms or Publications
- SDR Student Handbook
- Unhandicapping Our Language
- CSU Policy on Taping Lectures
- Alternative Testing Packet
- Notetaker Student Responsibilities
- Success Tips for New SDR Students
- Disaster Preparedness
- Making Your Public Event Accessible: A Checklist
- Department of Rehabilitation – local offices
PROCEDURES FOR REQUESTING ACCOMMODATIONS - Know the Process
Read and keep your SDR Student Handbook
- What is a disability “accommodation” in contrast to a service or other support?
- Extended time on assignments: take fewer units if you cannot meet deadlines!
- Course Accommodation Form: you take it to each instructor, each semester
- NO RETROACTIVE ACCOMMODATIONS: confirm EARLY with faculty by using SDR forms
ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY (AT): Referral by SDR advisor to SDR Alternate Media Production (e-text, screen readers, etc.), and/or to AT Coordinator Cynthia Compeán, Media Learning Center Bldg. 18, Room 138 Center for Academic Technologies
- Other flyers
- ROLE PLAYS
- COMPLAINT OPTIONS (SDR Student Handbook pages 4-5)
Find Student Disability Resources on Facebook! facebook.com/SDRCSUMB
Stay informed about disability-related events, activities, scholarships, etc.
SDR may also activate a Twitter account. Please ask if interested.
CSUMB CATALOG is on web – refer to it often & know your “catalog rights”
Read SDR SUCCESS TIPS flyer, front and back with resource list e.g.
- Personal Growth & Counseling Center and Campus Health Center, Bldg. 80 http://pgcc.csumb.edu/
- Academic Skills Achievement Program (ASAP) tutors, Library http://asap.csumb.edu/
Educational Opportunity Program (EOP): Student Services, Bldg. 47
- Apply early to Student Support Program, http://earlyoutreach.csumb.edu
- Undergraduate Advising Center: http://advising.csumb.edu/
- Workshops - Center for Student Success: http://studentsuccess.csumb.edu/
- Major Faculty Advisors and Peer Advisors via office hours.
RESIDENTIAL ADVISORS, RA On Duty, Community Assistants and Resident Directors
Clarify assistance that they may provide!
Disaster Preparedness for People with Disabilities (flyer) – PLAN AHEAD
CSUMB Emergency Planning and Emergency Procedures at http://police.csumb.edu
Associated Students = CSUMB student government; know your reps!
Join Student Awareness for Disability Empowerment
Californians for Disability Rights, local chapter
http://www.disabilityrights-cdr.org: CSUMB disability advisory committee
- California Department of Rehabilitation (Schedule SDR appointment)
- Central Coast Center for Independent Living
- Monterey County Health Department
- Community Hospital of Monterey Peninsula (CHOMP) - support groups.
- Hartnell College and Monterey Peninsula College for disability management courses, Learning Skills Assessment, Assistive Technology, Acquired Brain Injury, Becoming a Master Student (study skills), etc.